Facebook Twitter Instagram

Sign up for email updates from Yolo County Farm Bureau

Home > Compliance > Air Quality > Burn Permit

Burn Permit

2015 Burn Fact Sheet

 Learn about our ag burn program

Our region has a rich history as a food grower. Yolo and Solano farms produce world-famous crops of tomatoes, almonds, rice and sunflower seeds, among many other grains, fruits and vegetables. In addition to the crops, though, farming produces quite a bit of organic waste. One of the standard ways to get rid of that waste has long been to burn it.

But as we all know, burning organic matter produces smoke that can be harmful when breathed.
As such, the Yolo-Solano AQMD manages local outdoor agricultural burns through its Agricultural Burn Program. All farmers burning waste material, fields, ditches or levies within the District’s borders must be permitted through the program. There are five easy steps to have a legal ag burn in Yolo-Solano.

  1. Get a burn permit for the current calendar year. Burn permits are issued beginning in early January and are valid for the calendar year. The current base fee is $30.  In addition, the District charges an acreage burned fee at the end of the calendar year.
  2. Find out the daily status and receive authorization. We can’t allow ag burns every day: our mission to protect health from harmful pollutants, and sometimes the weather raises the chances ag burn smoke will impact residents. Call (530) 757-3660 to find out the status. If burning is allowed, you can at that point also receive authorization to burn and any conditions (such as time limitations and acreage) in place.
  3. After District approval, authorize your burn with local dispatch. Sometimes, due to fire danger or other reasons, local fire departments will have additional restrictions or conditions. As such, after receiving Yolo-Solano AQMD authorization you must contact your local fire dispatch to ensure they are notified of the burn and if there are further restrictions in your fire control area.
  4. Follow all directions. If you violate any permanent or temporary conditions – such as letting your burn smolder past the cut-off time or burning unauthorized materials – you can face penalties and have your burn permit revoked.
  5. Pay your acreage fee on time. We’ll bill you in January for your previous year’s acreage. Current fees can be found at ysaqmd.org/burn. When billed, you are encouraged to apply for a new calendar  year burn permit.
For more info on the Ag Burn Program, visit ysaqmd.org/burn/ag.php. If you have questions, call the Ag Burn Line at (530) 757-3660.

Back to